Race Headquarters Kathmandu
Hotel Shanker is the official event hotel for Tenzing Hillary Everest Marathon. The hotel’s lobby will be our connecting point. This is where all participants of the marathon will be given final briefings on marathon and the trek to Everest Base Camp. Race bibs and a free kit bag will also be provided (to pack for the trek) to each participant. Address of Hotel Shanker: Lazimpat, Kathmandu, Nepal.
How much extra cash should I bring?
You will need to purchase bottled drinking water, while in Kathmandu along with 3 lunches and 4 dinners. You may also want to buy snacks or other personal items in Kathmandu or during the trek. On the last day at Lukla, after the marathon is over and the trek ends, everyone will chip in money to tip the staff (Sardar, Sherpas, Kitchen Staff and Porters). You can set aside USD (converted to Nepali currency) for tipping. You must also count on spending some money while in transit to Nepal.All meals and accommodation is included in the package cost so you need not set aside money for these. It is suggested to bring a total of USD $ 500. This can be broken down: USD $ 300 in travelers’ checks and USD $ 200 in cash, some small bills. ATM machines are available in Kathmandu and near the event/group hotel that accept cash cards or credit cards of most major banks. ATM machines provide cash in Nepali rupees (NRs). The fee for using the ATM machine will depend on your bank’s transaction fees. Most fees cover around US.50 per transaction.
Storage of extra luggage while trekking
Hotel Shanker will store your extra luggage in the safe claim check area while you are on trek. Please check in at the front desk with your extra luggage a night before we leave for trek.
Medical emergency /evacuation
If you have never purchased this type of insurance you can ask your health care provider, travel agent, homeowner’s insurance agent or we suggest Global Care. Their website address is www.globalcare-cocco.com. Or a search on the internet, should find you an option suitable for you
Accommodation in Kathmandu
Our event hotel is Hotel Shanker, a well-reputed hotel, which is peaceful and located in central Kathmandu, 10 minutes away from Thamel, the bustling tourist district. All rooms are on double occupancy basis and includes breakfast. Extra charge for single supplement hotel accommodation (subject to varying price/s and availability).The charges for extra nights are: Single Occupancy: $ 100 per room Double Occupancy: $ 110 per room.
Tipping of staff
Each participant should plan to bring US (converted to Nepali rupees) for tipping. Tips collected from the group members are divided at the end of the trek at the following rate.1. Head Sardar (Nepalese Group Leader, organizer of the staff during the trek) Rs 5000 2. Head cook Rs 4000 each 3. Cook boys Rs 2000 each 4. Sherpa guides Rs 2000 each 5. Yak men if yaks are used Rs 1500 each 6. Porters Rs 2000 each You can also donate clothes and other items that will be collected from other group members who wish to give away. These will be distributed to the Trekking Staff and porters at the end of the trek in Lukla. Tips and donations are much appreciated by the staff and workers who toil very hard to make your trip successful. Also, if you develop a personal liking of a staff member and want to pass along an item of clothing that is acceptable.
Please purchase travel insurance that covers the following things.1.Trip cancellation 2.Trip interruption 3.Travel delay
- 4-nights hotel stay in Kathmandu on Twin Sharing basis with breakfast (extra charge for single supplement accommodation).
- Airport/hotel transfers in Kathmandu
- Domestic flight: Kathmandu—Lukla – Kathmandu (does not include emergency/medical evacuation by helicopter or plane)
- Full Board accommodation during trekking period backed by our Sherpa crew using lodges or tented camps
- Trekking permits and national park entrance fees
- FREE Kit bag with official marathon logo to pack your luggage during the trek
- Porters to carry baggage (must be within stipulated weight limit i.e. 15kg)
- Half-day sightseeing tour in Kathmandu
- Event t-shirt, participant medal and certificate and souvenir t-shirt
- Celebration dinner party at Everest Base Camp, at Lukla at the end of trek and in Kathmandu after on 2 June
- Nepalese Visa: USD $ 40 for 30 days (Can be paid upon arrival at Nepal)
- International flight Ticket
- Single Supplement hotel/lodge/tent accommodation on BB basis. (Extra charges)
- Meals while in Kathmandu. (3 lunches, 3 dinners).
- Extra nights in Kathmandu
- Expenses of personal nature and gratitude (tips)
- International travel, trip cancellation and medical insurance
- Emergency/medical evacuation
- Medical costs